When daughters are still young, it’s so fun to dress them. Little girl clothing is colorful and feminine. Yet somehow as young girls begin to grow many of them decide they want to look older than they are.
The media is partly to blame. The mainstream fashion industry doesn’t help. Short skirts, crop tops and provocative clothing can be found for even the youngest of toddlers. Is it possible to find fashionable clothing, clothing that lets your daughter celebrate looking and feeling good, while still looking like a little girl?
Tips To Find Age Appropriate, And Fashionable, Clothing For Little Girls
· Embrace child friendly designers and stores. When shopping with your daughter, steer clear of the mainstream stores which tend to sell the big girl clothing. Smaller boutiques and stores which specialize in clothing specifically for little girls will have beautiful clothing for your daughter to choose from.
· Give her options and let her choose. Children as young as two or three can choose their own clothing. It gives them power, cultivates their own sense of fashion and creativity, and helps create a bond between you – rather than a battle. Choose a couple of outfits you think she’d like and give her the option to choose from those. This way you’re still in control however she feels like she has a say in what she wears.
· Help her find her style. Some little girls love to wear colorful frilly dresses while others prefer jeans and a t-shirt. Ask your young daughter what she likes to wear and why. Take her to a child friendly online store and ask her to show you the clothing she likes. Engaging in a discussion will help her and you learn her style personality.
· Accessorize. It’s the little things that sometimes make us feel the best about our appearance. A headband, a fun pair of tights, a fun bangle or necklace can really help a child feel good about how they look. And if your daughter is a hat wearer then they can really have fun with an outfit.
· Set a good example. It may sound obvious however children, especially young ones, tend to take their fashion cues from their parents. Now that doesn’t mean you have to wear polka dot tights and a frilly pink dress (unless you want to) however when you dress age appropriately and take pride in your appearance your daughter, believe it or not, will learn from you.
· Let go. Fill her closet with items she likes, and you approve of, and then let her have control over what she wears. There will likely be days when she walks out of her room wearing jeans and a flowery dress on top or yellow striped tights and a purple dress, smile and tell her she looks colorful and let her go. Little girls love to experiment with clothing, if you’re able to fill her wardrobe with items you approve of then you can relax and let her experiment to her heart’s content.
Bright colors, fun fabrics and patterns and a little freedom to choose what she likes will help your daughter to look fun and fashionable while still looking like the little girl she is. Find a few child friendly stores and give your daughter a bit of choice, you’ll both be glad you did.